Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wrapping up the summer. Part Two.

Like usual, I'm wide awake less than 30 minutes before scheduled wake-up time. Dad and I are driving to Massachusetts in exactly 1 hour and 23 minutes. I am all packed, which is extremely rare given the unfortunate fact that my attention span never developed to that of a normal, full-functioning adult.

This summer. FLEW. by. I can't even believe it.

Life was not even close to the trauma I feared a couple months ago. Obviously. My stupid mind always expects the worst.

This summer was pretty awesome. I had a couple epiphanies and several reassurances and reminders such as:

  • I love people. New people. Different people. All people. (.. ok most people.)
  • I love new places.
  • I love coffee. Medium. A little Half and Half. Two sugars. Small is too small. Large is just too large. Free trade coffee tastes like flowers.
  • My humor sometimes takes adjusting to. I don't really have an arm disease or arm problem or tragic childhood story about my arm as some people may still believe...
  • I'm glad I listened to my mother and didn't pursue photojournalism as a career. PR is the right place for me. Funny how the old folks knew first.
  • I'm glad I listened to my dad's career and living-independently advice. It works flawlessly.
  • Not all companies make interns do dumb things. I'm thankful everyone was eager to teach and show and my bosses were super.
  • I'm thankful for all the advice and guidance I received over the past months.
  • I'm thankful my roommates were awesome. You guys better come to Boston. I'm serious.
  • I wish I had another month of summer.
  • Nichole and Damian are the best coffee buddies ever and I owe both of them more than I could fit in a bullet point.
  • I suck at goodbyes and would rather just duck out without a word because it's easier.
I'm not even going to talk about how I'm facing my senior, AKA final, year at BU. I'll save the angsty, end-of-the-world musings for late at night with the Boston roommates. MUAHAH. Just kidding guys.

Anyways there's no need for that because my family goodbye dinner at P.F. Changs yielded more than just an inflated stomach.

(Let's pretend half the restaurant didn't get this one as well.)

Let the fortune cookie speak for itself.


Bide your time, for success is near.

3 comments:

Charlie Kondek said...

This makes me feel warm inside.

But also empty. There's not enoughverbiage in your blog about the lessons you learned in my dojo. Nichole and Damien may have been great "coffee buddies" but I was the sensei that armed you with deadly PR samurai skills.

I'd also like to note I wish I could have gotten to know your sense of humor better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria - just wanted to drop by and say thank you for everything this summer. I am sorry that I did not have the chance to catch up with you again before you left MI... but I have heard wonderful things about your internship and how much you impressed people.

I am quite sure our professional paths will cross again. Best of luck to you in your senior year... and tell Dr. Downes I said hello! :-)

Nic said...

i want michael to make me an approval factor. and f that - wheres my own bullet???