Sunday, October 5, 2008

Weekend Update: Dating is not dead.

Just when I was starting to give up hope on single life in Boston, I met a genuinely nice guy who surprised me and proved that people still go on dates.

So last weekend I met this guy at Jake Ivory's. Let's call him J. We talked the whole night, made fun of people, danced a little... It was a good time. The bar closed and he asked for my number, so I gave it to him and by Thursday he had asked me out on a date.

I told my mom about this date and felt the repercussions shortly thereafter. My dad sent me an e-mail with a subject line, "So, he's interested in my daughter no
w, is he?" and with two attachments, the Rules for Dating my Daughter and the Application to Date my Daughter, which I re-posted below. The same day, I received the following text from my youngest brother:
"Maria. Tell J to watch his back when I'm there cause I built a special shank that has his name written all over it.
"


Saturday rolled around and J brought
me to Joshua Tree for some drinks. Totally different experience going on a night other than Thursday, when the bar is usually full of the same BU kids you see every Thursday. We got a table, ordered some drinks and talked about life. UFC matches were on and Murilo Rua (who's photo below some of you may recognize from my desktop) and Andrei Arlovski were fighting so I was happy. Of course the only person most of the people cared about was Kimbo Slice who lost after about 10 seconds. Didn't even get to put up a fight. It was extremely disappointing. But I digress.




That was a great first date for me. We hung out, drank some beers and watched some fighting. He drove me home and asked if I would want to hang out again. I said no. His face dropped as he said, "...what?" which I followed up with, ".. just kidding.." Mom said it was too early to joke. I can't help it though. The situation was tense and I
needed to break it up a little. So I guess if I didn't scare him we may go on another date. Or something. Who knows.

On my way home, Joe and I had the following exchange of texts:


Maria: I'm back from my date. We watched the Kimbo Slice match at a bar.

Joe: How'd he do?

Maria: He lost in ten f-ing seconds it was ridiculous. His eye got split open.

Joe: Not Kimbo bitch. The kid you went with.


This morning I received the following e-mail from my father:


Well, where are the completed forms? The review committee has been waiting since last night to begin the evaluation!


The committee decided I am allowed to go on a second date, so stay tuned...




In other news.


Friday was fantastic. Erin, Katie and I wen
t to go see Beautiful Lies play at Berklee. I hadn't seen Dave play in a while so that was fun. After the show we went to Phil's apartment to party with the band. We kept hitting our heads on underwear hanging from some hangers. The undies were either not dry or decoration supplemental to a Bill Cosby sweater and random squirrel figurines propped up on speakers and sinks.

I always forget how much I hate gin. It tastes like Christmas. But instead of leaving presents, all you get in the morning is a raging hangover. Damn you
Katie!

The quote of the night occurred while Katie, four of the boys and I were squashed in the kitchen taking shots.


Katie: What would your personal physical manifestation of weather be? Mine is drizzly.

(Silence)

Maria: ... Thunder and lightening.


Love those boys.

Saturday
after the date I met Noelle and Christina at Tequila Rain. It was pretty fun. A group of guys started talking t
o us. One was wearing a Tap Out shirt so I asked if he watched the match earlier that night. He said yes and that he was an MMA fighter himself so we talked about fighint for the rest of the night. Saturday made me want to go watch my brothers fight. Hopefully that will happen some time soon.

Noelle stole the hat of one of the fighter's friends and danced around throwing up signs like she was part of the Korean Killers.




The bar shut down and hat-boy, who Noelle named Jersey even though he was from Florida, ran to say goodbye to us and slipped and fell flat on his ass. We had to tell Noelle today that the kid actually fell and was not break dancing. Poor girl felt cheated.

As we exited Tequila Rain, Noelle shouted,


"WELL! We sure got our money's worth!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this guy J knows about your blog? Once in high school I was dating this girl and the father gave me that application for dating his daughter...I was like...ummm

And by the way, there are a lot of nice guys out there