Monday, October 20, 2008

Parents Weekend: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

So much happened this weekend. Let's start from today...


My brother, Steve, has been training in Worcester with Team Link, a team started by UFC champ Gabriel Gonzaga, for a while. Today was the first time I've watched Steve fight. It was awesome.

We arrived at Ludlow High School early so Steve could weigh in with the rest of the fighters. I watched as each fighter approached the scale. Some were fully clothed while others weighed in wearing nothing but their tighty-whiteys and coats of chest fur. Weights ranged from about 50 to over 200.

Prior to arriving at the gym, Steve calmly informed me that if something went wrong and he broke something, it would be difficult for us to get back to Worcester since I don't drive stick.... Apparently at his previous match, he heard a pop that he thought was a man hitting the ground but turned out to be a man snapping his upper arm in half. I prepared for the worst.

Two of Steve's friends and I watched the gi round, which Steve fought twice in, scoring silver.



In the no-gi round, Steve again fought twice and received silver. The no-gi matches were insane. Here is Steve dominating for a little over 4 minutes. His take-down at 3:39 is awesome. You can hear his coach, Marco Alvan, talking about how great the match is.



After he was finished fighting, Yai and Angelo waddled over to us. We had no idea they were watching the matches. Yai is such a stealth master.



This was a fantastic tournament. Both of my brothers are talented fighters and I can't wait to watch them kick ass again next time.



I'm going to go find someone to beat up now...

No comments: