Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cover bands are sweet but I'm too lame to think of good song requests.

Tomorrow's already Thursday. I better just tell you what happened on Saturday night real quick.




Erin and the Northeastern boys went to Purple Shamrock in Fanueil. While I was waiting in line to meet them, scarf over my head like a babushka, some bald, tattooed men decided to claim me as theirs. When it was our turn to go in, one paid my cover saying, "it's only money." The best part was that he disappeared for the rest of the night. That's what I call service with a smile.

The first song played as I entered was Blister in the Sun. In case you didn't know, that is my and Erin's song. The stars aligned. Saturday was fantastic. Here are some highlights:

  • Hot, nice, southern boys from Berklee.
  • Canadians
  • Nice girls (this is extremely rare. Especially at bars. But this weekend we were two for two.)
  • Live cover band that played great songs.
Not only was the band entertaining musically, they were also very nice between sets. One of them told me I was a funny dancer (apparently in a good way... but I'm skeptical) and the other tried to get the band to play my song requests.

The guitarist was Greek so that was awesome. He kept speaking Greek to me. I got some of it. Like when he called me koukla... which just reminded me of my Yia.

During one of their sets, he noticed a creepy guy was trying to dance with me. Guitar in arms, strumming away, he walked off the stage and pointed out the situation to a guard. I was able to handle the creeper with harsh expletives but it was nice to know someone was watching out. When he noticed the creeper leave, he signaled me to the stage and told me he was going to make sure the guy didn't come back and if I need anything say something. Yea bodyguards!





I need to start thinking of lists of songs to request of cover bands. The only one I can think of is always Hard to Handle by the Black Crowes. Don't judge me. It's hard because it has to be something semi-popular that they'd know how to play.

Suggestions?

No comments: