Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Parents Weekend: Wrap-Up

Now wrapping up Parents Weekend coverage...


...
So my family moves around quite a bit. When I came to BU they were still living in Zurich, Switzerland. Over the past two years they have moved to Columbus, Indiana and, currently, Detroit, Michigan. This mobility made it difficult for the entire family to be in one location at the same time.


UNTIL NOW!!! MUAHAHA.


Parents Weekend was awesome.
I spent several days cleaning and decorating so my mother didn't think I was living in squalor. (And because the apartment needed it... bad.)

Friday afternoon they arrived. Earlier that day I decided to host a pizza party so my friends could meet my family. My family arrived and my friends waited in the room while I retrieved them from the lobby. All my favorite people in one place! It was great.

While Steve, Joe and I picked up four large p
izzas from T Anthony's, my friends regaled my parents with tales of my (apparently) good dancing while intoxicated, Xena costume from last year and other fun college memories. In return, my mother shared every embarrassing nickname she's designated my brothers and I. They will not be repeated.

We laughed. We ate pizza. We watched the sun set from the 10th floor. It was bea
utiful.

Later that evening my family and I went to the BU hockey game. I got five tickets in the student section. I knew my dad would love it but I was skeptical about the rest of the
pack. Lucking, everyone enjoyed themselves, especially watching the student section mock the opponents relentlessly.

My dad joined in on many of the cheers, including the one where the announcer calls the names of the opposing starting line and the student section turns their backs to the ice, circling and pointing at the players screaming, "SUCKS!" after their names are called.

Mom thought the "sieve" chants were funny, especially since one kid had an actual sieve that he held up whenever the goalie let one in.

My brothers thought the "ugly goalie" chant was hilarious especially since the opposing goalie got so upset that he cut his drink short to put down his mask and slam down his waterbottle, cavi
ng to the pressure.

After the game, mom and dad left while Steve and Joe and I hung out in my room. Everyone came over and we engaged in some responsible
icebreaker games, specifically Beirut and Landmines. This was more challenging for some than others.

Enjoy this short video where Brian wins the Special Olympics, Jess displays her true inner Asian-ness, Steve lets out a family secret and Christina is her normal awkward self.



Untitled from Maria F on Vimeo.

Everyone left the room at about 2:30ish at which point I made about 6 quesadillas, two bagels and cleaned the entire apartment... again.

After the boys demolished the food declaring mine the best quesadillas they ever tasted, they p
assed out, each on a couch. Steve was on the short one so I put my comforter on the floor, made him move and tucked them both in. So precious.

SATURDAY WE...


...went to lunch at the Hyatt. I booked a window seat so we could watch the Head of the Charles Regatta. It was a beautiful day so we took some family pictures. They will undoubtedly be sent out in Christmas cards.





...went to he Pumpkin Festival. I got lost so we took the scenic route meaning we got off at Boylston, walked through the park in the wrong direction, walked back through the park in the correct direction and then walked to Government Center. Family bonding. You know.

There were a lot of pumpkins.... Not much else to say about that. We walked through Fanueil indulging in some delicous desserts.





Thus concluded Parents Weekend. Mom and dad drove Steve and I to Worcester so I could stay the night before his tournament. We parted ways until Christmas.

My friends all agreed they like my brothers better than me. I'd have to agree with them. My brothers are pretty awesome. (You too, parentals.)

Thanks for coming Family Unit!!! Good times.

(...Even though I had to sit bitch every time we drove somewhere.)

2 comments:

JD said...

SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brian loses bad. Nice title! Haha.

well-intentioned heartbreaker said...

hahaha, i love the pumpkin pic =)