Saturday, September 6, 2008

Now that we've read the pants book...

So I've managed to add new burns to my body. The other night while cooking spaghetti, I spilled boiling water over my left hand and now I have a strange mark across my wrist.

Other than that, the start of the year has been successful. I've had three classes. The fourth will start Monday. I've explored several new bars around Boston. I've settled in and seen many (but not all) of the people I want to see.

Apparently some think I'm a freshman. That hurts. One thirteen year old called me "seasoned." I wasn't sure whether to feel like a rotisserie chicken or an old lady so I just smacked her.

Here are some highlights from my first week of classes:

INTRO TO CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY:
  • Can you wave to a chimp and say, "I need a sample?" No. You need to watch where they piss and take it.
  • People who try to open beer bottles with their front teeth might breed a new kind of evolved teeth. Or they may lose their teeth and never breed at all.
  • The truth is too valuable to be given freely.
  • We expand your brain. And it hurts sometimes.
  • [Theme of the Year # 3] Make the strange familiar. Consider there's another way.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE & BEHAVIOR:
  • Plagiarism... It's a no-no.
THEORY AND PROCESS OF COMMUNICATION:
  • You may now use your cell phones to insert my phone number. And office number. And e-mail address.
  • If you have a family tragedy or break up with your boyfriend, I don't care and will not treat you like the other students.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

No comments: