Monday, September 22, 2008

Booo creepy Liquor Store. HOOORAY Jake Ivory's!



(If you don't recognize that... watch this...)





Excitement =
The
Ann Arbor Chronicle featuring my blog (back in July... I just found out) for the following reasons:

Best imagined description of Ann Arbor in recent weeks, from the Meet Me At The Mirror blog: “Ann Arbor rang similar to a cute older woman who used to be a hippy and now spends her days sleeping outdoors and making wacky crafts inspired by her younger, LSD-induced life.” Plus a great narrative about finding a man in the bushes outside her room.
Gross = Liquor Store, the bar we visited Friday night. When I was told there'd be a mechanical bull, I (apparently naively) envisioned beer, cowboy hats, wood and a chill atmosphere. Instead, and this might be offensive to hos and perverts, I was greeted by three stripper poles, old men with cameras and red lighting, akin to whore houses in Europe.

We (Erin and I) feared that come midnight, the venue would transform into one mass orgy. Thankfully this did not happen. What DID happen however was Jess riding the bull. If you listen closely you can hear Noelle screaming, "yeeeeeea girl. Yeeeeea."


Jess Rides the Mechanical Bull. from Maria F on Vimeo.

Fantastic = Jake Ivory's, the bar we visited Saturday night. Located on Landsdowne Street right outside Fenway, the line was daunting but I knew the second we made it inside and heard two pianos playing an Outkast song that it was worth the wait. This duelling piano bar has made it to the top of my Boston Bars list.

Noelle, Tara, Erin and I met four of Erin's hilarious friends from Northeastern. This even number lended well to songs such as I Will Survive, during which the girls song-battled the guys, literally in two lines facing each other. Noelle and I engaged in a beautiful duet to the pianists' rendition of Proud Mary. Many dance-offs ensued. It was a beautiful night. We will definitely be returning to Jake Ivory's. Next time much earlier and with song requests prepared.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait the bar was called Liquor Store? How weird!

Anonymous said...

mechanical bulls=never a good sign. in the same category as menus with pictures or lawyers with tv ads. jake ivory's seems fun though. long live outkast!

Kori said...

liquor store is kind of a trashcan...long live jake ivorys!

JohnnyC said...

i can't believe you've never been to jake ivory's! my friend dave weissman is usually honkin' on the keys down there. and thanks for the post, creep.

Holly said...

I actually have not been to Jake Ivory's. When I was up in boston, i loved White Horse. It has a great atmosphere, great drinks and fun music.

Charlie Kondek said...

Dude, that Ann Arbor quote is SO choice!