Monday, June 16, 2008

Someone get this girl an apron...

A drastic increase in hunger has insisted my culinary repertoire grow since arriving in Ann Arbor. Two weeks ago, I was feasting on ham and cheese sandwiches, a pickle and some Cheez-Its for dinner. Lunch consisted of two Pop-Tarts. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal.

The sandwich component of my day has transformed into turkey and cheese sandwiches warmed in my filing cabinet at work for lunch (accompanied by carrots and an apple.) Breakfast, if consumed, remains a bowl of cereal. Last week, dinner was spaghetti and canned mushroom sauce with a salad drenched in balsamic vinaigrette every night except one. I attempted grilled ham and cheese but failed miserably. I placed buttered bread into a pan on the stove and went deaf from the high pitched sizzle resonating from my dinner. The blackened char coating my wheat bread was indicative of my failure. I sucked it up, picked off the black and ate basically warm ham and cheese.

This week I've moved on to chicken nuggets and a salad with red wine vinaigrette. I will alternate with spaghetti and perhaps another shot at grilled cheese. I no longer worry that kitchen appliances are plotting to attack me. I get angry when my food disobeys me but I will be dominating these mischievous edibles in no time.

No comments: