Saturday, November 24, 2007

TIME

My dad, Joe and I got Chinese food for dinner the other night. The old Asian lady that works there is really funny. She reminds me of that spazztic Asian lady that works in the GSU and always talks to herself. Anyways we got to know quite a bit about this woman while we were waiting for our take-out. She is from Hong Kong and has lived here for over 20 years. She recently went back to Hong Kong for her father's funeral. He tripped and hit his head on the corner of a table. It was an awful story.

At one point my dad asked her if we could take a menu home. "This will save some time next time we call in an order," he said. "Although I'm not sure what we're saving the time for."

What are we saving the time for? We are always looking for shortcuts and ways to get around seemingly mundane tasks. I read an article in Vanity Fair about devices created to "save time and energy" such as the mechanical fork which twists your spaghetti for you. There is some robot that has been created to vacuum and do other household chores. I'm a little scared. Eventually we will live our lives in a bed or on a couch. With laptops and the internet and cell phones we can communicate without leaving if we really needed to. You can shop online for groceries through websites like http://www.netgrocer.com/ and others. All you need is a bed pan and a little robot to bring you your food. The robot is under development as is a more practical method of releasing yourself I'm sure. Think about that for a second. The issue of physical human interaction would be the only issue here. I'm sure some sort of teleporting device will be created one of these days. I wonder how long someone can go without human interaction before they go insane...

It's time to relax a little. All these mad scientists and inventors are getting a little carried away. Consumers are getting a little lazy. I don't even know life without a mobile phone. What happened when there were no phones period? Not even house phones? Can you imagine walking around to find your friends or family instead of calling them? It's hard enough to walk through Andrea and Christina's room to get to Tara or Noelle. AIM is so much more convenient. Ok so AIM saves us the time we'd take walking room-to-room. Where does that time go? I bet if we kept track to the minute of our daily activities we'd be shocked by the amount of time we waste or spend on meaningless endeavors.

HMMMMM. I think I'll find out!!

No comments: