Friday, May 30, 2008

Boot Camp with Michael Victor

Mom and dad are having company tonight so dad is doing all he can to make the house look like no one actually lives in it. He headed to the shower to prepare for the evening and I went to our detached garage to bring out the recycles. On my way out, I checked the door knob twice to make sure it wasn't locked. (Like I have been in the past.) I dutifully brought the recycles to the garage then attempted to re-enter the house only to find that the door was locked.

WHAT?? I swear to God. It's so weird living in a house I don't know. It must lock automatically or something. Now what? Doorbell!

I ran to the front door trying to make it to the doorbell before my dad got in the shower. I rang once and stood on my toes on the ledge peeking into the small window in the door. I couldn't see anything. Shit. I pressed the doorbell again, holding it down longer to extend the sound of the buzz. I kept losing my balance on the ledge of the door. I balanced myself in time to find my dad snickering as he approached the door from the complete opposite end of the house as the shower. What??

Come to find out, my dad locked the back door when I went to the garage. As part of a test.

"I wanted to see what you'd do in that situation!" he informed me.

Funnily enough, these tests of intelligence and survival are not uncommon in our household. That's why I have eagle eyes and I'm always thinking on my toes. Perfect for my future in the CIA.

I think I'll retaliate by making a doodie in the bathroom right before the guests arrive. And NOT turning on the fan. So there.

No comments: