Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Business Casual

GRRRRR I hate shopping!

Especially when I can't find anything. Like yesterday. Mom, dad and I went to a mall the size of a small village surrounded by carpet sidewalks and faux forestry. I tried on dozens of clothes in a desperate attempt to find something "business casual" for my upcoming internship. Wow. Who knew it would be so difficult. Several things went wrong.

A) I was in a bad mood. When I'm in a bad mood and trying to shop I shut down.
B) Shopping with people frustrates me.
C) I have no idea what qualifies as business casual and I don't want to look stupid when I start my job so I grew even more frustrated when I couldn't find anything.
D) What I did find looked ridiculous on me.

After trying on 20 articles of clothing in a poorly-lit, made-for-midgets dressing room in H&M, I was done. Mentally at least. Vicki and Michael had other plans in mind. Mom brought me into one of her favorite stores: Ann Taylor. Well... Loft. Apparently there's a difference. She picked out pants and I picked some shirts. Headed to the dressing room. Put on the clothes. Started laughing. Basically I was wearing a shapeless tarp. Mom thought the pants looked fine but I'll be damned if I will be caught wearing Ann Taylor clothes to an internship. Don't get me wrong. The clothes are fine... for other people. I can squeeze in another decade or so before stepping foot in that place again.

We had much better luck today. Mom brought me to Somerset and lo and behold the Banana Republic was the perfect balance between my reluctance to dress so rigidly and my mom's eagerness to dress me like a middle-aged woman.

For now, everyone is happy. I just hope the people I work with dress up and I don't look ridiculous.

No comments: