Thursday, January 3, 2008

I will flick you.

I am looking to conquer a new frontier: dreams.

This goal was inspired by one of my bosses. Both of us have problems sleeping. Though his are far greater than mine (he sometimes goes days without sleeping), I have a hard time getting a good, restful sleep. At school I attribute the problems to stress, living in Kenmore and Christina Trotta. The problem seems to have been magnified since coming home, though. It's probably because I didn't bring my body pillow and the length of my bed is not against a wall. I like to be smoshed in between the two and have grown dependent upon that situation for a good night sleep. My dad thinks I can't sleep because I drink too much Coke and keep my phone on. I told him I need to be prepared for Noelle to call me at 2AM and have her friends sing all the Maria songs they can think of and then rap to me.

Regardless, my boss and I were talking about our predicament today. We got on the subject of dreams because he told me a story about a dream of his that I was in. I love trying to interpret dreams and the obvious result of his dreams, according to my psychic and detective talents, was that he needs me to keep his life on track. He didn't believe me but I told him to give up because dreams never lie.

Anyways he told me that at one point in his life he was having really creepy dreams. He eventually taught himself to control his dreams. He got to the point where he had a dream about someone he didn't like and made himself flick the person over the horizon in the dream. This sounds fascinating and amazing! So I asked him how to do it. He told me it is difficult and takes dedication.


Just start with the basics. When you realize you're dreaming, just kind of investigate. Talk to people. Ask them questions about what it's like to be in a dream. Ask them if they will do things for you. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. People in dreams have their own personalities, too. It's strange.

Even now the excitement makes my fingers tingle with anticipation. I wish falling asleep was easier so I could train myself to flick people I don't like in my dreams and make people do whatever I tell them. I have seen documentaries on lucid dreaming (controlling your dreams) but I have never put in much effort trying to master it. The most I've accomplished has been realizing that I am dreaming. Even that doesn't work all the time.

According to Wikipedia, the first step towards effective lucid dreaming is dream recall, or being able to remember your dreams. I'm pretty good at that. Ask my brother or any of the roommates. They are often subject to elaborate stories of my ridiculous dreams followed by interpretation that is often more ridiculous than the actual dream. Wikipedia doesn't really say what to do next. But I will take the advice I received earlier today. I will fall asleep, tell myself I'm dreaming and then start talking to people in my dreams. I am so excited. I hope this works! This will be another way to entertain myself here in lonely Michigan! When you have no friends, create them with lucid dreaming!

No comments: