Thursday, January 17, 2008

426 reunites with some changes.

Aaaaand we're back.

Last night was the first night everyone who was supposed to be in 426 was in 426. Michelle, after a temporary lapse in judgment for two semesters, has returned and I am loving every second of it. She still loves pizza bites. She still color coordinates her room. She still loves squirrels. Everything in the world is right again. She moved into my old room and worked her magic to make it look like a more luxurious walk-in closet as opposed to the department store fitting room it looked like when I lived in there. I moved into Tara's old room and have made some changes. I put my sheet over the window to make it more cave-like/mimic romantic lighting during the day. I also purchased a lovely black couch with a super soft blanket-for-two and two pillows. Noelle and I spent about 40 minutes assembling it today. It was extremely difficult but a slew of curse words and several beads of sweat later a beautiful, sturdy masterpiece appeared before us.

Me: Noelle, you should sleep on it tonight!
Noelle: Ah, yes. Sleep on the fruits of our labor.

We have been enjoying those fruits all night long. Christina, Noelle and I were joined by Michelle and Louis for some quality, trash-tv time. Today was the first day of classes so we are all a little drained. Granted, I didn't have any classes today.... but I still worked hard on the new decor of my room.

The second new edition to 426 is Sooah, a South Korean native participating in the intensive English language program here at BU. She arrived yesterday morning, much to our surprise. She was one of the last to move in so we (or rather, I) assumed she wouldn't be coming. Prior to yesterday morning, speculations of deportation and tragedies involving falling off the edge of boats began forming. She doesn't even have Facebook, so we really had no information about her. Not even an e-mail address. Her aunt, who lives in Boston, helped her move in. Poor Sooah hardly speaks a word of English. We all introduced ourselves at various times throughout the day. When it was my turn, I approached her with my arm out and said, "Hi! I'm Maria!" She stared at me warily for a few seconds and then weakly grabbed my fingers with her tiny, cold hands. "Sooah." It is difficult to know exactly how much of what we say she understands.

Last night after dinner, Christina finally arrived, the last in the room missing. We all cracked open a some beers and made our first cheers together in 2008.

"2008, let's lose some weight!"
"2008, it's gonna be great!"
"2008, maybe go on a date!"

The last toast was apparently the favorite because everyone let out a loud cheer, hit beer cans and started drinking. Christina decided to extend an offer to Sooah, who was sitting in Noelle's room opposite mine. She brought her beer into the room and we all listened anxiously as Christina extended the beer in front of Sooah, opened her eyes widely, pointed at the beer and stated loudly and firmly "American beer." Sooah declined this offer and continued unpacking her belongings. Christina came back after concluding that Sooah had no idea what was in the can.

Thus began Spring semester 2008 in room 426.

No comments: