Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day Two: March 9

I woke up on the floor this morning. Chris was sitting next to me with his computer on his lap poking my arm and commanding me to watch a video. I reached for my glasses and put his computer on my lap. As I picked the sleepy seeds out of my eyes, I focused in on what appeared to be called the "poop button." When clicked, the graphic made a farting noise. After two or three repetitions, the graphic changed to that of one person pooping on another person. I've missed Chris this semester.

We all woke up slowly, got dressed and headed out for breakfast. The boys took us to the Gloucester Arms, a pub about five minutes away. We got there at about 1 pm but still ordered breakfast foods. The guys got "traditional" English breakfasts. Michelle and I were a bit put off by the beans element of the meal so she got a BLT and I got ham, eggs and giant peas. We sat for a couple hours eating and watching rugby while the guys finished their beers. One would assume rugby players would have busted faces but Michelle and I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery during the Italy vs. France match.

After the pub we all headed to the Natural History Museum. We were greeted by massive dinosaur skeleton reproductions and other exhibits including one of unidentifiable footprints that Chris lovingly determined to be footprints of "the Maria" crawling on the bathroom floor at 3 am. I assure you this has never happened. We continued on our journey enjoying the dinosaur exhibit including the "twowangosaurus" and other interesting spectacles. We moved on to the human body area of the museum and ducked under an Italian man videotaping a video exhibit of sperm penetrating an egg. The best exhibit in the entire museum was the giant baby, which appeared to be huddled in a massive pod. The baby was extremely creepy and much larger than any human I know. The room holding it was all black symbolizing the inside of a uterus. There was a sound machine playing what sounded like the bleeping of a submarine radar system alerting the crew to an approaching bomb. Apparently this was meant to simulate the experience of being in the womb. Utterly creeped out, we moved on to the animals exhibits but couldn't stay there long either. (Michelle loves cute animals and often looks at pictures of them online so she gave up this routine for Lent. Upon seeing the rodents and other small animals in the museum she whispered, "I shouldn't be here" and we soon left.)



After the museum we went to McDonalds for some Cadbury Egg McFlurries, which didn't really taste like Cadbury Eggs. Michelle and I went to Jess' to shower. That was the best shower I've taken in a very long time. The actual showers were about three feet by three feet. This made moving around rather difficult. Nevertheless, we were very happy to have a nice warm shower in a girl's bathroom.

We went to dinner at a Japanese restaurant with Tara and Jess then we met Chris and he took us to a hotel bar down the street. Since it was a Sunday, all the pubs closed early. We had one drink then left. It was a school night for Chris so we tried to get him back early. Chris slept on the floor of the family room and we had very interesting pillow talk while falling asleep.

Noelle is coming tomorrow!!! Hopefully Air India gets her here safely.

No comments: