Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day Six: March 13

Damn it. We slept in again.

I'm pretty sure the alarm clock rang without any response on our behalf. We met Noelle and Jess around 4ish and went to the Queen's Arms, a local pub, for some fish and chips and beer. Noelle and I got the fish and chips, which came with a side of mushy peas. Noelle enjoyed them. The consistency freaked me out so I gave mine to Noelle. She is on her way to becoming a true Brit. Not only does she eat fish and chips and mushy peas, she has also adopted a sporadic (yet not-so-convincing) British accent. For some reason, she can not respond to strangers without donning a British accent. Yesterday at the beer festival, some guy asked her if she wanted to try his pint of "Hop Over To Paris." In response, Noelle grabbed his arm making grand gestures toward his pint and shouted in a high pitched British accent, "Is that whatchu got theeehhh?" I peed my pants a little and she tasted a stranger's beer, ultimately deciding on another.

After the pub we went to Chris' where we made plans to meet other BUers at a bar called Kavanagh's. I was told by my boss to visit this bar before leaving London, so I was very excited. When we arrived, a large bouncer checked our IDs to make sure we were all above 18. We followed a stairwell to the basement where a cover band played in the corner and students crowded by a wrap-around bar. Kavanagh's was a lot of fun. We ran into many people from BU there. There were different seating areas and a small dance floor in front of the band. We spent most of our time on or near the dance floor. The cover band played a lot of good songs, old and new. This was the first time we heard our London theme song, I Predict A Riot by Kaiser Chiefs. The band played fun classics like Brown Eyed Girl. We enjoyed it even though they completely messed up the lyrics. At one point, Noelle dragged Michelle and I into the middle of the packed dance floor. We were completely surrounded and could hardly move at which point Noelle screamed to us, "THIS is bangers and mash!.... Bangers and MOSH!" One weird thing tonight was the amount of older people there. Older meaning above 40. Some guy who must have been at least 60 was right in the middle of the dance floor asking BU girls to dance with him. This was kind of strange. I feel like there is a greater separation of age ranges at bars and evening venues in America. At least strict enough where, on your typical night, a 60 year old would not be at the same venue as 20 year olds.

Tonight is our last night staying at Chris'. He and two of his roommates are leaving for Dublin tomorrow so Michelle and I are going to join Noelle at Jess' for our last two nights in London. I can't believe how fast this trip is going by.












I Predict A Riot

No comments: