Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Closest I Came To Beating Someone: 2008 Edition

[one of] The most infuriating encounter of 2008 occurred in October at two in the morning in the lobby of my dorm.

Noelle and I had just come back from An Tua Nua. We live in different towers and were not ready to go to our rooms so we talked behind the guard booth for a while. Two guys approached us even though we were clearly deep in conversation. Most of my replies were lies because I wasn't in the mood to be nice.

Guy: Hey you guys were at An Tua Nua.
Maria: No. (turns away)
Guy: Hey are you in the School of Management?
Maria: Yea. I'm talking to my friend.
Guy: Me too! How does it feel to know you'll never be as good as a man? When you graduate, you'll never make as much as a man. How does that feel? You'll be washing my dishes and doing my laundry!

All I heard was his condescension echoing in the deafening silence that followed. I was so blindsided by this asshole that it took me a little while to react. Noelle and I looked at each other wondering how the hell this ignorant, delusional chauvinist could be standing right there in our dorm, in the middle of Boston, saying these things.

People who know me wouldn't consider me a feminist. You don't need to be a feminist to be enraged by people like this. I wanted to punch him in the jaw but the two guards were watching the entire ordeal and it wasn't worth being kicked out of housing.

Instead, I hit him (figuratively) where guys like that are most vulnerable: his manhood. I started laughing while saying, "yea. My goals in life are to serve you. YOU are so amazing!"

I said goodnight to Noelle and walked to my tower screaming back to them, "Have fun trying to get laid! At least you two boys have each other!" and other things that shouldn't be repeated. One of the guards collapsed with heart palpitations because of my language so I got in the elevator and stormed upstairs.

If I see that kid again, I will beat him.

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION #1: Beat ass if necessary. Sometimes physical violence is the most appropriate option.

2 comments:

L.L. said...

Yup. Good to know people like that still exist. What a douche.

Brahmin in Boston said...

A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y!!! Never tolerate fools or a**holes... ::Sigh:: those college days!!! I was allowed to kick any one in the nads but in career world I have to enact that in my head....